Urgent need for BSW Placement Sites

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Nov 2010 17:35:12 -0500

text/plain

A message from WVU Division of Social Work:

Urgent need for Social Work sites for BSW students seeking Spring 2011 Field Placements!

Due to a significant increase in undergraduate enrollment, as well as some of our sites having to cut back or discontinue hosting students due to staff or space issues, we are facing a critical shortage of social service, human service and, health care settings for our BSW students.  Sites which provide a variety of activities, significant interaction with clients, consumers, residents or patients, as well as exposure to all aspects of social work services, administration, policy, etc. are being sought.

BSW students do a one-semester block, generalist field placement, which covers 4 full days, Tues through Friday, 30-32 hours per week for a minimum total of 441 on-site agency contact hours.  For Spring 2011, this placement will begin January 11, 2011 and end around April 29, 2011.  BSW students must receive supervision from an individual who has a BSW degree, WV SW license and 3 years post graduate related work experience, or an MSW degree,is licensure eligible and 2 years post graduate related work experience.  If such an individual is not available on-site, but can be identified and is willing to provide at least one hour weekly of formal supervision, an individual with an undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field may provide supervision of the student's day-to-day tasks, with the Social Work-Degreed individual providing the social work perspective.

Please advise as to whether or not you may be interested in hosting a BSW student for Spring 2011, or other students later in the academic year, if it is not possible for Spring 2011.  Also, if you have any suggestions for additional field sites in the Monongalia, Marion and Harrison County areas, please forward same.

Thank you!

Samuel J. Leizear, MSW, LGSW
Field Instruction Coordinator

[log in to unmask]   304-293-7339