]

:

LISTSERV

WVU-SW-PCE Home

WVU-SW-PCE  2010

WVU-SW-PCE 2010

Fwd: Social Work Day at the Legislature Information and Registration

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:19:18 -0500

Colleagues,
Information about the upcoming Social Work Day at the Legislature.
Hope to see you there!

Regards,
Jacki Englehardt
Coordinator, Professional & Community Education
WVU Division of Social Work

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 1/19/2010 9:59 PM >>>
Attention NASW Members:  Please join your colleagues and social  work
students around the state at NASW’s

SOCIAL WORK DAY AT THE  LEGISLATURE

Wednesday, February  3, 2010
8:30 AM - 4:00  PM
Culture Center and State Capitol (both on Capitol Grounds)

We hope to have a HUGE  turnout from throughout the state to show our
Legislators that social workers  are WATCHING them and are very
interested in
issues affecting our profession and  the people we serve.
Social Work Day at the  Legislature will feature  educational
workshops,
resolutions in the House and Senate to honor the  social work
profession, and
opportunities to meet with your elected  representatives and observe
the
legislative process.  The day will conclude  with the annual reception
honoring
the contributions of West Virginia’s  professional social workers.
NASW
members as well as social workers considering  joining NASW are invited
 and
encouraged to attend.  Social Work Day offers an invigorating
opportunity to
talk with your Legislators about issues important to our  profession
and
those we serve.
Social Work Day at the  Legislature is designed based on  feedback
received
from participants who have previously attended. The training  offered
is
especially useful to professional social workers and social work
students
interested in influencing public policy and the legislative  process.

Continuing Education credit for WV licensed social workers are
available.
Please plan to join  social workers and social work students throughout

West Virginia at

Social Work Day at  the Legislature, February 3, 2010!
Who Should Attend
NASW Members, Social  Workers and Social Work students who want a
greater
understanding of the policy  issues affecting our profession. The focus
of
the day is educational, and is  appropriate for public sector employees
and
all other participants.  Social Work Day is a special continuing
education
and learning event held at the West Virginia State Capitol Complex and

involves public recognition of our profession, opportunities to meet
and see  your
elected officials in action,  and learn about legislation that  affects
our
profession
WE HOPE  TO SEE YOU THERE!

Tentative  Schedule**

8:30 AM     Registration at the  Capitol  Culture Center (State
Capitol
Complex)--All participants should be pre-registered. Refreshments
provided.
(See Attached Registration Form.....NO FEE FOR NASW  MEMBERS!)
***  TIP ** Capitol Complex Map available at:
_http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Educational/citizens/guide.cfm_
(http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Educational/citizens/guide.cfm)
9:00 - 10:30  AM   Orientation to the  Legislature, legislative process
and
what to expect at  the Capitol.  Several key Legislators are invited to

discuss topics of interest  to social workers: Social Services, Social
Work
Safety, Child Welfare, Health  Care, Women's Issues and more.
Governor Manchin is scheduled to meet with the  participants
*** TIP ** MAXIMIZE YOUR PREPAREDNESS  AND EFFECTIVENESS BY READING
NASW
LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES AHEAD OF  TIME!  These will be sent out shortly,

pending Board  approval.

10:30 AM       Move to  Senate and House Visitor’s Galleries in Main

Capitol  Building to watch  legislators in action at floor sessions.
Resolutions
designating February 3,  2010 as "Social Work Day at the Legislature"
will be
presented on   both the House and Senate floors.
Lunch:   On your own.  The Statehouse Cafeteria,  located in the
basement
of the Main Capitol  Building, is open from 11  to 2.  A snack bar is
located
in the  basement of the West Wing.  Fast food restaurants, such as
Wendy's,
Subway,  Rally's and Domino's, and other restaurant options, are
located
just two blocks  west of the Capitol Complex along Washington Street.

Noon - 3:30  PM  Meet with Legislators/ observe  Legislators in action
in
committee meetings, attend NASW Board  meeting, etc.  Additional
information
will be given at the morning  orientation session.
3:30  PM  Wrap-up.  Governor's Press Conference Room (State  Capitol
Bldg).
 Share experiences, discuss "next steps"

2010 Reception  Honoring the Contributions of Professional Social
Workers
Professionals to the  Citizens of West  Virginia
5:30 to 7:30  PM Charleston Marriott Town  Center Hotel
200 Lee  Street, Charleston
Social Work Day at the  Legislature concludes  with this annual
reception
in honor of our profession’s importance to society.
** We will make every effort to stay on schedule.  However we  are not
in
control of events at the Legislature and the schedule may  change.

PREPARATION:
Appointments, Citizen’s Guide, Issue Briefings,  Action
PARTICIPANTS  ARE ENCOURAGED TO MAKE APPOINTMENTS  AHEAD OF TIME TO
MEET
WITH THEIR LEGISLATORS!
Participants  who did not make appointments in advance to meet with
their
elected officials  expressed disappointment that they did not make the
most
of Social Work  Day.
WE  ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO MAKE APPOINTMENTS AHEAD OF TIME!
Visits  can be made in groups or individually, but all scheduled visits

require some  planning.  Legislators represent  specific geographic
districts.
Legislators have committee meetings and  other appointments, so it is
always best to schedule a meeting with them in  advance.
*** TIP **  To Set Up  Appointments with Senators &  Delegates:
Log  on to _www.legis.state.wv.us_ (http://www.legis.state.wv.us/)   Or

Call Toll Free (877)  565-3447
*** TIP **  Online Citizen's Guide to the West Virginia  Legislature:

To orient yourself to  the legislative process and your upcoming visit
the State Capitol Complex,  visit to
_http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Educational/citizens/guide.cfm_
(http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Educational/citizens/guide.cfm)
This convenient online  guide provides information about the Capitol
Complex (maps, directions, etc), the  legislative process (how a bill
becomes a
law), the  committee process, floor action, etc.  It also provides
information
about  how to contact your legislators.  If you do not know who
represents
you in  the legislature, you can simply type in your West Virginia zip
code.
 It's a very  user-friendly site.
*** TIP **  NASW West  Virginia Chapter Online Legislative Action
Center:
Our online _Legislative Action Center_ (http://www.naswwv.org/)  will
soon
be  gearing up to help you easily and effectively contact your elected

officials  about issues concerning our profession and those we serve!
Use it
often!  Visit us online at _www.NASWWV.org_ (http://www.naswwv.org/)

REGISTRATION  INFORMATION:
2010 SOCIAL  WORK DAY AT THE  LEGISLATURE

Please see attached Registration form and email or mail your
registration
by Wednesday, January 27, 2010.
NO FEE FOR NASW MEMBERS!
Non-Members:   $10
Continuing  Education Hours
3  hours of continuing social work education credit offered for West
Virginia licensed  Social Workers.
Please  email, mail in or drop off your registration form (with payment
for
 non-members) by Wednesday, January 27, 2010 to:
National Association of Social Workers - WV  Chapter
1608 Virginia Street  East
Charleston,  WV  25311    (Sorry we  cannot accept credit card payments
for
this  event)
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATON:
ACCESSIBILITY:  Wheelchair Access / Attire / Weather /  Terrain /
Safety:
The  State Culture Center is wheelchair accessible.  Wheelchair access
the State Capitol  Building is located to the left of main stairs on
the
North side of the Mail  Capitol Building (best access from State
Conference
Center) and near the  handicapped parking by the Culture Center.  Ask
at the
guardhouse/guard stations for additional accessibility  information.
Additional  lifts are located mid-wing on the first floor of both the
West
and East  Wings.  These provide access to the  Main  Capitol Building
level,
where you will find the  Governor’s Office (ground floor), Cafeteria

(basement), House and Senate  Chambers (fist floor), Rotunda, committee
rooms
(second floor), etc.
Elevators  in the East Wing provide access to additional House of
Delegates
offices and  meeting rooms.  Elevators in the  West Wing provide access
additional Senate offices and meeting rooms.
*** TIP **  Wear comfortable shoes and plan to carry  your coat or
jacket
with you.
Participants  will be walking around the Capitol Complex much of the
day
and will be outside  on brief occasions.  Wear clothing  & shoes suited
this purpose.  You will be representing our social  work profession,
please
dress accordingly.  The norm at the Capitol is  business attire;
however sport
coats, slacks and sweaters, are fine.
Please  check weather conditions before you set out.  Do not place
yourself
or others at risk  by traveling on unsafe roads to attend this event.
NASW
accepts no responsibility for loss, damage or  injury.  Wear warm
clothes.
Coat hangers are available. Please keep  valuables with you at all
times in
public places.
Parking/Shuttle  Bus:
Parking  is always at a premium during the legislative session. Free
street
parking  within three blocks of the Capitol is usually available on the

1500 blocks of  Kanawha Boulevard,  Virginia and Lee Streets. Limited
metered
parking and handicapped parking is available at the lots accessed via
the
guardhouse at the intersection of Greenbrier and Washington Streets.

Limited  metered parking is also available at the University of
Charleston
(formerly Laidley Field)  parking area at the intersection of Elizabeth

Street and Piedmont Road.  A Capitol Shuttle bus picks up  passengers
at the
parking area (except during lunch hour from 11:30 - 12:30) and makes
stops at
various locations around the Capitol Complex.  The California Avenue
stop is
closest to the  State Conference Center, while the Governor’s Drive
stop is
closest to  the Governor’s Office and Main Capitol  Building.  Please
plan
to arrive early.
THANK  YOU!   We hope you have a great time and a very productive
Social
Work Day at the Legislature!  If you have questions or  need additional

information, please email  Larry Beckett at [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])  or  call our Chapter  office at
345-6279.
Thank  you.

“BE  THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE  WORLD.”    Mahatma Gandhi

YOU  ARE THE POWER OF SOCIAL  WORK!

Membership  dues support the work we do on behalf of our profession and

those we serve. If  you are a member of NASW, Thank  you!
If  your membership has expired or you have never been a member, you
can
renew or  join online and receive the benefits of NASW membership by
visiting:
 _www.socialworkers.org_ (http://www.socialworkers.org/)
National Association of Social  Workers
West  Virginia  Chapter
1608  Virginia Street East
Charleston,  WV 25311
_www.NASWWV.org_ (http://www.naswwv.org/)
304 345-6279

Plan NOW to  Attend!
 2010 Social Work  Day at the Legislature, February 3, 2010,
Charleston
State Cultural Center and Capitol Building

Thank  you!

ELAN  Legislative Action Committee