Space Still Available - April Workshops

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:45:52 -0400

Consider signing up for one of the following WVU Division of Social Work
sponsored workshops.  Info below and attached.

April 17, 2009, 9am-5pm, Gaston Caperton Center, Room 149, Clarksburg,
WV
Backlash: Rapid Changes in Our Pluralist Multicultural Society
Kathleen Carrick, MSW, PhD Candidate, University of Pittsburgh School
of Social Work
CEU’s: 7 Social Work hours; 6.5 LPC hours
Registration Fee:  $75

The course will examine backlash to cultural changes in our society
based on actual or perceived differences in racial, ethnic, religious,
or sexual orientation. We will discuss methods to improve tolerance and
respect for diversity.  We will also learn techniques to manage cultural
conflicts.  Topics to be examined throughout the day include: applying
diversity training worksites and outreach efforts to diverse
communities; exploring federal legislation that contributes to cultural
tensions; the impact of cultural competency on individual and families;
and methods to improve tolerance and respect for diversity within
communities.

April 20, 2009, 10am-3pm, Monongalia General Hospital, Mylan Room,
Morgantown, WV
Ask Not What Veterans Did For Us, Ask What We Can Do For Veterans
Linda Gantt, Ph.D, ATR-BC and Louis Tinnin, MD
CEU’s: 4 Social Work hours; 3.5 LPC hours
Registration Fee:  $45
Target Audience:  Intermediate or Advanced practitioners

Among Americans there is a general consensus of appreciation for the
men and woman fighting for our freedoms in war and an overwhelming
desire to repay them.  But how can we repay them?  One way would be to
help them leave the war behind them so they can get their lives back.
Recent research is showing that 300,000 veterans are returning home with
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).  We can help by providing them an
effective, time-limited treatment specifically designed to treat PTSD.

Although PTSD contains the word disorder in its title we should not
treat it as a disorder or a disease but as an injury that is a result of
exposure to war.  Since veterans can recover from these injuries with
the appropriate treatment, we can start correcting century-old stigmas
about getting help for these injuries.  This training is intended to
help service providers working with veterans learn more about this
injury caused by war and about effective tools to treat the injuries so
war experiences no longer continue to affect our veterans for decades.

April 24, 2009, 9am-4pm, WVU-Potomac State, Heritage Room, Keyser, WV
Women and Addiction
Lori Fell, MSW, MDiv.  Senior Lecturer, WVU Division of Social Work
CEU’s: 6 Social Work hours; 5.5 LPC hours
Registration Fee:  $65

For many years substance abuse treatment ignored the specific needs of
women in treatment. The confrontation inherent in treatment often left
women to wallow in shame. Researchers have now found that
gender-specific treatment for women leads to greater success and long
term sobriety. This workshop will review the basic tenets of the disease
concept of addiction, the progression of the disease and how addiction
affects the physical, spiritual, mental, emotional, and social aspects
of women’s lives. We will look at how trauma impacts the recovery
process and learn individual and group treatment techniques that are
gender specific.

Jacki Englehardt, MSW, ACSW
Coordinator of Professional and Community Education
Division of Social Work
West Virginia University
PO Box 6830
Morgantown, WV 26506