]

:

LISTSERV

WVU-SW-PCE Home

WVU-SW-PCE  2009

WVU-SW-PCE 2009

Burn Out and Compassion Fatigue, 4/8/09, Morgantown

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:15:17 -0400

Info below and attached

WVU School of Applied Social Sciences/Division of Social Work
FREE Continuing Education Seminar for Social Work Field Instructors and
Task Supervisors*
($20 for non-Field Instructors/Task Supervisors)

Approved for 3 Social Work Continuing Education Hours

Burn Out and Compassion Fatigue: Are you a Fried Social Worker©?

April 8, 2009
8:30-11:30 AM (Breakfast from 7:45-8:30 AM)
Mylan Conference Room, Monongalia General Hospital
1200 JD Anderson Drive, Morgantown, WV

Jennifer Powell, MSW, JD, LGSW
Adjunct Assistant Professor, WVU Division of Social Work;
Assistant Dean, WVU College of Law

Are you a Fried Social Worker©?  As the website
www.friedsocialworker.com suggests, many social workers are suffering
from burn out. Further, many articles have begun to address the
secondary trauma or compassion fatigue that helping professional
experience in their day to day work with trauma survivors and with other
emotionally difficult cases.

In this workshop, we will define burnout, assess your level of burnout
and discuss why social workers are susceptible to burnout. We will
compare and discuss compassion fatigue and discuss what types of social
workers may be subject to it. We will identify strategies for self care
and strategies for remedying distress for individual social workers,
strengthening workplaces to avoid burning out employees, and review
pro-active strategies that the social work profession can and should
engage in to prevent and remedy burn out and compassion fatigue. We will
also identify our legal and ethical obligations to identify burnout and
compassion fatigue in ourselves and in others and learn the risks of
practicing as or with burnt out and fatigued colleagues.

Learning objectives: At the end of this session, participants will:
Define burnout and compassion fatigue; assess their own level of burnout
or compassion fatigue or both; review why social workers, social welfare
institutions, and the profession are susceptible to burnout; learn
strategies for self care and ways to relieve or alleviate burnout and
fatigue; and identify the specific legal and ethical risks of practicing
as or with burnt out or fatigued colleagues.

In order to plan for the appropriate amount of food and resource
materials, only those who RSVP can be admitted to the training.  To
RSVP, contact Ms. Morgan Gorbey, at 304-293-3501, ext. 3110, or
[log in to unmask] Please include your name, agency
affiliation, mailing address, phone number and email address, in any
email or voicemail messages, so that we can assure that you receive a
confirmation notice. The deadline for RSVPs is Friday, April 3, 2009.

*(Attendance at one of these sessions annually is required for ALL
Field Instructors -for more information on this policy, please email
Samuel Leizear, at [log in to unmask])

$20 payment can be made by cash, check or credit card (use attached
form)