]

:

LISTSERV

WVU-SW-PCE Home

WVU-SW-PCE  2009

WVU-SW-PCE 2009

Fwd: Native American Event: Who Speaks for the Dead?

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:28:51 -0500

text/plain (7 lines) , message/rfc822 (7 lines) , multipart/alternative (7 lines) , text/plain (31 lines) , text/html (45 lines) , Microsoft Word - Feb 17 flyer.pdf (45 lines)

This event is in Morgantown - WVU on 2/17/09.  No CEUs available - but thought it may be of interest to some of you.....

Jacki

Dear Friends of Native American Studies,   We're happy to invite you to our upcoming West Virginia Native American Heritage event, Who Speaks for the Dead: Kin, Science, the Law? It takes place Tuesday, Feb. 17th at 7 pm in G24 Eiesland Hall.   There will be an educational presentation about the Buffalo Village Site in Putnam County, WV and the ongoing efforts toward repatriation and reburial. There will be Native American panelists discussing relevant issues from within their cultural and spiritual perspectives, as well as faculty from the WVU History and Anthropology programs who will share information on such topics as indigenous management of important cultural sites both here and in Mexico. There will be a question and answer segment for the audience to take part in as well.   A key aspect of the presentation is educating the audience about the diverse cultural, legal, and scientific perspectives on such topics as archaeology in contemporary times, repatriation of Native remains and sacred artifacts, and finding common ground as we share in the exploration of our human past.   I hope you will take the opportunity to attend--please invite your friends and families to join you and feel free to pass along the attached flyer. If you need more information, please email me at: [log in to unmask] Sincerely, Bonnie Brown, Coord. Native American Studies Elberly College of Arts and Sciences West Virginia University Phone: (304) 293-4626 Fax: (304) 293-6585 Native American Studies Program 433 Stansbury Hall PO Box 6284 Morgantown, WV 26506-6284