2009 Civic Life Institute

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 May 2009 17:06:52 -0400

From Betty Knighton:

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to invite you to participate in a unique opportunity
designed to strengthen the life of your community: the 2009 Civic Life
Institute, Connecting People to Public Issues. The Institute, which will
be held June 8-9 at the University of Charleston, is hosted by the West
Virginia Center for Civic Life, a nonprofit,nonpartisan organization
that promotes public engagement in issues that affect West Virginia and
the nation.

At the Civic Life Institute, you'll learn how to work with a wide range
of people in really productive community conversations, and you'll learn
how to take those conversations to the nextlevel--a level where your
community can move from dialogue to action.

The Center has more than a decade of experience working with citizens
on our state's most pressing issues. Take a look at our website
www.wvciviclife.org tosee the issues we have addressed with our
partners in West Virginia communities, including health care, education,
childhood obesity, supporting young adults in Wes tVirginia, and helping
working families. We are currently working to develop additional
community dialogues on issues ranging from substance abuseto the quality
of our water in West Virginia.

2009 Civic Life Institute: Connecting People to Public Issues
Do you need more citizens working with you to make your community more
active and vibrant?Do things get stalled in your community because no
one knows what direction people will accept?Do you wish you could
increase your skills in helping your community find common ground for
action?If you answered yes to any of these questions, you'll want to
attendthis year's Civic Life Institute.What You Will Learn

At the Civic Life Institute, you will learn a wide range of skills to
use in your communities:
· Learn a process for moving from community dialogue to action
· Learn how to moderate community discussions of public issues
· Discuss strategies for organizing community dialogue initiatives
· Network with others who are working to build strong communities
· Engage in deliberation of issues important to our state, including:
- Preventing substance abuse in West Virginia
 - Creating opportunities for our young adults to thrive
 - Improving the quality of our water
 - Dealing with childhood obesity in West Virginia
Institute Registration Details
The Institute runs from 10 am to 9 pm on Monday, June 8, and from 9 am
to 4 pm on Tuesday, June 9.
Registration fee is $95, which includes all curriculum materials, issue
guides, and meals.
Lodging is available on the UC campus for an additional $40 per night.
You can pay personally in advance of the Institute or request that we
bill your organization.

Registration form is attached.

For More Information, Contact . . .

Jean Ambrose Betty Knighton