Early Bird Deadlines

Jacki Englehardt <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:58:53 -0400

11/9/07, Advanced Clinical Training on Violence in Families, Charleston, 9am-5pm, 7 social work hours, 6.5 LPC hours, $67.50 early bird rate by 10/15 (regular rate = $75)

This workshop addresses advanced clinical interventions with sexual abuse and domestic violence within families. The session will examine specific family dynamics that allow for abuse to occur/continue such as shame, coercion, and isolation. We will be examining intergenerational patterns of abuse within families. We will also examine repercussions of abuse that occurs within families from a legal, psychological, cultural, and ethical perspective. Particular emphasis will be on appropriate clinical interventions when abuse is disclosed by clients. Topics to be examined include sexual abuse, sexual assault, the effects on children witnessing violence within families, clinical symptoms of self-injury, an overview of the history of domestic violence in the United States, legal resources and criminal convictions for violence within families, community resources for victims of violence, and social policy implications (such as VAWA funding for local shelters and services).

This workshop will challenge us to examine our personal assumptions about violence, sexual behaviors, self-injury, gender roles, social expectations, and sexism. It will also help to deepen our understanding of the effects of violence within families and strengthen our clinical interventions within abusive family systems.

11/14/07, Human Resources:  Employment and Team Building, Morgantown, 10am-4pm, 5 social work hours, 5 WVU Continuing Education Certificate in Nonprofit Management hours, $49.50 early bird rate by 10/15 (regular rate $55)

You may not be the Human Resource Director in your social service organization, but you need human resource management skills. During this session the learner will hear, consider and practice needed human resource management skills in areas of hiring, firing, personnel policies, discipline, performance appraisal and team building.  A focus on the particular needs of nonprofit organizations will be addressed.

11/16/07, Documentation, Ethics,and Risk Management, Flatwoods, 9am-5pm, 7 social work hours (approved for 4 SW Ethics hours), $67.50 early bird rate by 10/15 (regular rate = $75)

This workshop will review with social workers the importance of record-keeping and documentation. Social workers will learn what kinds of legal or ethical proceedings that they may face if they are accused of behaving unethically, unprofessionally or even criminally in their workplaces.  Documentation is a key component of risk management, is ethically required, and can be an important tool in protecting a social worker against claims of unethical practice or social work malpractice.  Social workers will review the importance of confidentiality, informed consent and privilege as it relates to client records.

Jacki Englehardt, MSW, ACSW
Coordinator of Professional and Community Education
Division of Social Work
West Virginia University
PO Box 6830
Morgantown, WV 26506